Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Expectations and Reality

I honestly think I'm going insane. But that's not this post is about. It's about Coca-Cola.

So UMCP is a Pepsi/Dr Pepper organization. Whenever I get soda here, it's a Pepsi/Dr Pepper product. Mountain Dew, Crush, Pepsi. That's it. I honestly haven't had a Coca-Cola product in like a year. Until last night. I wanted something to drink because it was really warm outside, but I couldn't choose between Sprite or Coke (since I haven't had one in so long), so I decided to get a Sprite. In my mind, I totally thought it was going to taste awesome. But it didn't really match what I thought and I said out loud, "I should have gotten the Coke." My friend heard me and basically just replied "Nah man, you probably would have said the same thing if you got the Coke." That got me to thinking: We hype up everything so much in our minds to the point where it's impossible to match it when the real thing comes along.
It's not only soda. It's everything in life. I realize I'm more disappointed in things, even when they turn out okay because I'm expecting them to be so much more than just okay. They need to be AWESOME. But my mind constantly plays out scenarios where good things will happen to me, only for them to not happen in real life. My head canon is so much of a better story than real life. At least things have closure. Stories end well in our minds and on paper, but never in the real world. It kinda sucks. But I've been trying to break that cycle. It's not if the story sucks or not that's important: It's what you make of the situation. Things will always happen that I can't control, and I just have to be okay with that. But that'll take some effort.

Oh and I totally read yesterday's post and it was super depressing and confusing. Sorry. That's what stress does to a mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment